Monday, May 2, 2011

From Seed

First Harvest!  Photo:LAM
Here is a photo of the first harvest!! Chives, Mesclun Salad Greens and Spinach, all successfully grown from seed.  This is just the beginning.  The basil, parsley, leeks, tomatoes and bell peppers are still living inside as sprouts, just waiting for the day they can start growing out in the sunshine.  The Oregano's leaves are still little but it's already thriving in a container. The Nasturtiums are the most impressive so far, potted up and living on the deck.  These days the plants stay outside when it's sunny and come in when it's thundering or cold, but I have plans for them very soon to move outside permanently (my dad says, after Mother's Day is when you plant your garden.)  I will likely judge my aptitude as a farmer/gardener on the success or failure of the tomato and leek crop.  If I can successfully grow them from seed, I will know that I have a green thumb. It might have been helpful to be sure I had a green thumb before I chose this as a career....so cross your fingers.

Acanthus "Bears Britches"
My mom recently gave me some Bear's Britches (Acanthus) and a Bleeding Heart (Dicentra formosa) from her garden in PA.  The Dicentra is already dangling white hearts.  I wonder if the Acanthus will flourish as well.

Mugwort "Chrysanthemum Weed"
One particular weed has been very persistent at the Arboretum and in the backyard.  It's knick-name is Chrysanthemum Weed because it's foliage resembles Mum foliage, but it doesn't flower like a mum and it develops an obnoxious rhizomous root system.  I did some research, however and it's real name is Mugwort.  It's rumored to have medicinal properties AND to be a bug repellent, so I might go a little easier on it for a while and see if I can't put it to good use this summer. 

The Iris's are in bloom and we are well on our way to Peonies, Rudbeckias (Black-eyed susans), Hydrangea and nice crop of fragrant Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum virginianum.)  Best, Shannon's dad sent us a birdhouse that he made!  Some Wrens have built a nest there already and we are very excited that our backyard might be home to some baby birds!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have this growing at the back of my garden and I kinda like it, I posted a photo on my email groups to find out what it is and did a search when some one said it might be Chrysanthemum Weed then I found your site.

    ReplyDelete