Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teachers

Today it is starting to look like winter.  The sky has a white color and the leaves are on the ground.  The air is still warm and so it feels like back to school time.

I have two weeks left at the National Arboretum and so I've been thinking about how lucky I feel to have landed the internship and how appreciative I am to my boss, who hired me, and has been teaching me everything I am willing to learn in six months. 

While raking in the Friendship Garden last week, --the Friendship Garden is full of White Oaks that are at least 50 years old, Sweet Gum trees, Hickories and Hawthorns--Lots of leaves to rake equals lots of time to think.... I got to thinking about how fortunate I've always been in the teacher department.

It began with my Dad, who taught me about hard work and giggling...oh, and how to look for things.  Then there is my mom who taught me about discipline and being creative.  My oldest and dearest friend Nicole taught me to tie my shoes when we were both four years old. 

Then my 1st and 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Arms along with my 3rd grade teaching Mrs. Fisher, taught me to write and re-write stories until they were award winning.

My 5th grade teacher, Mr. H taught me to appreciate exponents and became a family friend. Same with my Jr. Highschool Glee Club teacher, Ms. Mack and my math teacher Mr. Smith.

Mr. Walker taught me to love proofs and good stories in Geometry and Mrs. Doughty, the visual art teacher, taught me problem solving- with art as the tool.  Mr. Farrell, taught us good taste in composers and how to perform at Harrisburg Arts Magnet School.  Jenna, my best highschool friend taught me how to make a holiday out of a normal day.

There are my ballet teachers Mrs. Purvis, Richard, Forry and Violette who taught me to be exceptional.  Now there is Kee who is teaching me how to be a teacher. 

I could go on and on.  Teacher's contributions are voluminous, they are exponential.  They are actually shaping what happens next in the world. I don't know how I got the best of the bunch in one lifetime...

2 comments:

  1. The teacher is arguably the most important profession in society, however, we fail to give them the proper respect and compensation that they so clearly deserve.

    John F. Kennedy once said, "Modern cynics and skeptics... see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing." Funny how this statement is still very true a half century later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday's a holiday with Laaauuuurriieeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete