Saturday, June 19, 2010

Poison Ivy

I've recently spotted Poison Ivy in the Friendship Garden.  The fact that I've been able to avoid it so far has inspired a new goal.  "Avoid Poison Ivy for the entirety of my internship"


So far I've seen seven patches of it over a three day period.  I'll count each day as one for either me or one for the poison ivy.  Score so far is:  Laurie : 3 Poison Ivy : 0.  Other pests: rain, sunburn, mosquitoes and spiders have all gotten at least one over me already, but so far I'm in the lead over that pretty looking three leaved little menace.  Speaking of which, while on the look out for the sinister vine, I've spotted some other plants that force me to do a double take before I realize I'm safe:  Wild strawberry has three leaves, but they are rounded, so you can breath a sigh of relief and maybe find a sweet little snack there too.  Mulberry weed reminds me of it.  There is a five leaved vining weed that sometimes loses a leaf or two and scares scares me.  When the Poison Ivy is in a deeply shaded area, it doesn't have the red or the tell-tale shine to it, so sometimes you can think you are about to pull out a little acorn sprout and then realize you are about to grab the stem of the itchyest stuff on earth.  Poison Ivy apparently thrives on carbon dioxide.  Since the amount of CO2 in the air is increasing the poison ivy is running rampant around here.  I've seen it wrapping around trees with leaves as big as six inches long.  It's extremely invasive and nasty.  Round-Up will kill it, and lucky for me, Ed, the professional gardener sprays the Round - Up for me whenever I point out a new sneaky batch of it!  So which one of these photos is poison ivy?....no but I put a photo of the real thing a few blogs ago. I proud to report that I helped Nicole and Mark start the war with it at their house just last night!  Anyway, for those of you who are worried, I'm wearing gloves and trying not to get too confident....cross your fingers.

1 comment: